Monday, October 09, 2006

KDE Network Manager problems

I've been using knetworkmanager in fluxbox on Kubuntu Dapper 6.06. It works OK (love it for WPA) but there are a few quirks. This is on a Dell Latitude D810 with the Intel 2915 A/B/G card, using the ipw2200 driver.

The first annoyance was that it didn't seem to work correctly with kwalletmanager. It usually didn't retrieve passwords, but the behavior was unpredictable. I decided to try whacking the config for both programs:

killall knetworkmanager kwalletmanager
mv ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl ~
mv ~/.kde/share/config/knetworkmanagerrc ~
kwalletmanager &
knetworkmanager &

After that I only had to enter the network password once and it has since been saved/retrieved without issues.

Second annoyance--I usually hibernate whenever I dock/undock, but there are times when I'm forced to actually shut down. It's after a real shutdown that knetworkmanager misbehaves. The message is "No network device found" and it persists until 2-3 hibernates later. Until it decides to cooperate I can use iwconfig, wpasupplicant, and dhclient just fine on the interface. I've tried killing knetworkmanager and the backend NetworkManager processes, but the bugger won't see my network interfaces until I hibernate a few times. And no, Google doesn't have an answer yet.

No comments: